So I guess my body is getting even with me for having two uneventful pregnancies.... Last Friday I was having tons of Braxton-Hicks contractions, so many that I was tempted to go to the ER. After drinking a TON of water, they eventually started slowing down, but still ruined my night's sleep since I was a little anxious. Then Saturday and Sunday night I couldn't sleep at all because my heart was racing and freaking me out. I felt like it was going to explode out of my chest! So on Monday I went in to see my doctor, who checked my blood pressure and heart rate and immediately sent me to the ER. My heart rate was 135 bpm, which is a good deal higher than the typical 80-100 bpm. I was also shaking and the more questions they asked the more freaked out I became. In case you don't know me too well, I LOVE stressing over things. I just can't help myself!
In the ER they gave me an EKG and did a ton of blood work. The verdict? Um, pregnancy. That's right, I'm perfectly healthy. The ER doc said that pregnancy does weird stuff and from what he could tell I was a perfectly healthy adult. My OB didn't like that answer and admitted me to L&D for a few hours of observation. So I got settled with fluids and monitors. Almost immediately my heart rate started slowing down. It was a relief to know that baby was pretty much unaffected by everything (and my cervix was still closed so I didn't have to worry about those contractions!). After a couple hours of monitoring my doc sent me home with Ambien. She thinks it was a combination of anxiety and dehydration that sent my heart rate so high.
Well, Monday night I slept great but yesterday I felt my heart racing again. Today Damien and I had to do a health screen at his work for our insurance and my heart rate was 116. Not as scary as Monday, but still high. Seriously, what is going on???? I'm so frustrated and anxious I can't seem to calm down. I guess I'll call my doc again tomorrow if nothing changes. I'm hoping that I'm still just a little freaked because of my whole ER experience and my heart will eventually go back to normal. But I still like to worry that I'm shaving years off my heart's life with every extra beat!
2 comments:
Are you on any anti-contraction meds or anything? Those took my heart rate through the roof and I almost passed out. Hope it slows down soon. Maybe they should look at putting you on a 24 hour heart monitor at home.?
holy freaking crap, girl! sounds like anxiety attacks to me, but what do I know? Take it easy, hide the steak knives from K, and I love you!!
Post a Comment