Exactly five years ago D and I were in beautiful Kauai eloping. We found this "minister" online (ha!) and had booked her for June 1 at 2:00pm to perform our ceremony. D and I decided to eat a nice brunch and get to the spot we were meeting the minister early. Unfortunately (and yet I can't seem to regret it) I discovered delicious Lappert's Coconut Ice Cream the day before. I decided that since it was MY wedding day, I MUST get an ice cream cone before the ceremony....and maybe after, too! If any of you have ever been to Hawaii, you know that the pace is much slower there than here in Texas! We took way too long getting my ice cream and barely had time to get ready for our wedding...which is why my hair is all funky (I prioritize makeup over hair ALWAYS). So we ran (literally late for our own wedding) to meet our minister.
We booked a cute little package deal that came with ceremonial leis, photographs, and a cake. I had spoken to our minister on the phone several times and was a little nervous because she seemed very detached (detached= nice word for airhead). When we finally met she was very nice. She brought the photographer (her daughter- in dreads with hairy legs and armpits!) and showed us the way to a private little cove where we would say our vows. We began thinking we might have been a little hasty with the internet minister when she started pointing out little areas where she "could leave us to make love" if we wanted... we didn't! Ew!!!
After the vows
The ceremony was short and sweet and exactly what we wanted. We were barefoot on a gorgeous beach in Hawaii, what more could we ask for? How about a marriage certificate that spells our names correctly? (BTW- Hawaii is ridonkulously bureaucratic and it was very difficult to get things corrected!!!)
After the ceremony, we learned about the photographer and her friends, the "bliss-ninnies" .... these are big groups of hippies (with armpit and leg hair, presumably) that sit around smoking weed and touching each other. In short, ninnies for bliss!. The Bliss-Ninny also kept trying to get us to make out for the camera! (We all know she was hoping we'd go find a private cove!!!---GROSS!)
Bliss-Ninny on left
If nothing else, we will definitely remember our wedding in Hawaii!
I love you, D!!!!!!


11 comments:
Excellent story... Happy Anniversary!
P.S. Ice cream consumption is absolutely a valid reason for being late to anything...even your own wedding!
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY YOU GUYS! I love your story. too funny! especially the bliss-ninnies!
Where did you get the term bliss-ninny? Did she refer to herself as a bliss ninny or am I simply uneducated?
She referred to herself as a "bliss-ninny".... I'm not creative enough to make that up!!!
I think that's the best wedding story I've ever heard! Out of control with the breaks for making love and the bliss ninnies! I, too, always choose hair over makeup and think you look GORGEOUS! And Damien looks handsome as always. Congratulations on five years! You make a beautiful couple!
Y'all make a wonderful couple--Happy 5 years! What a great wedding story. Truly hilarious. And I agree. I ALWAYS prioritize makeup over hair. Hence my very very short cut.
Fabulous! The pictures are so gorgeous. Five years sounds big, eh? You should get to go back to Hawaii and visit. And find yourself a very private cove... EW! KIDDING!
Way fun story.. Happy Anniversary!
Shel-
i LOVE eloping marriages. i think they are so romantic and perfect. forget all the wedding mumbo-jumbo... it's only about you two anyway, right? and in hawaii!?!?!?! ummmm.... hello?
congrats on 5 years!
Congrats on your five years! That's an awesome story! I still have somehow not met you yet, but maybe if I went to the ward activities. . . :) Your blog is awesome though!
next time she starts throwing a fit I'll send her your way..that way you have your concrete proof!
Post a Comment