CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Best. Book. Ever.


I read ahead of the Enrichment Book Club schedule. Way ahead. And I found a new favorite book!!! I posted about it before, but hadn't gotten around to reading it then. I JUST NOW finished it and am totally depressed it's over! The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is the cutest, saddest, quirkiest, funnest ("funnest" = real word in my world) book, EVER! I can't believe how much I enjoyed reading it- I was a little thrown off by the writing style (all personal letters between the characters), but am now amazed at the creativity of the author(s) for pulling it off! I just want to encourage everyone who has heard of this book or even just walked by it at some point to pick it up and read it! CV, tell your mom THANK YOU for recommending it- I'm so happy she did! My copy is available to anyone who wants to borrow it, but beware:

"If you borrow me, I pray,
Treat me as a friend;
Keep me by your fireside,
And to no others lend.

Guard my leaves and keep them clean,
Do not turn them down;
With no pencil marks deface,
Nor with thumb-marks brown."

or...

"Look ye, my friend
If this booke I lend,
Be sure to return
Or in H will ye burn!"

or...

"Solemnly do you swear
This same book, not to tear,
Nor dirty, nor fray?
For your soul will I pray,
If the return you delay"

or even better...

"Steal not this book, my worthy friend,
For fear the gallows will be your end;
Up the ladder and down the rope,
There you'll hang until you choke!
Then I'll come along and say--
"Where's that book you stole away?"



Ha ha, so I got slightly distracted looking for clever book-borrower warnings. I invite everyone to find one and post it in the comments---or better yet, make up your own and post that! Now what was this post originally about?????

9 comments:

Kendall and Lee'sa said...

I heard that was good. I heard you have to read it twice. Hmmm. I actually have it sitting in my Amazon cart for my next purchase. I don't usually go to book club because of the time, but maybe I'll read this one with everyone and just ask them what they thought later. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jennifer said...

I ain't never borrowing anything from you. (Ain't = real word in my world.)

Leslie said...

I'd borrow your copy...but I am a little afraid to!!! For one, I can't keep up with your book reading. You are like a thousand books ahead of me. BTW- I STILL haven't read the book for tomorrows book club! ARGH!

Jenae said...

Ha ha ha! I just think the warnings are funny, I swear! I usually drop any new book I buy in the bath within about 15 minutes, so my books are pretty destroyed by the time I lend them out. I think it's extra funny to see a warning in a book that's already trashed!

Jennifer said...

I'll only borrow a book from you once you dropped it in the tub. Although I don't read in the tub. But I can guarantee it will have Coke and/or chocolate on it.

Court said...

You are very clever. And I will have to borrow your copy. My mom is an avid reader with good taste. I'm so glad you liked it.

I'm still reading the same book I started reading on vacation in Jamaica (in MARCH). "Team of Rivals" by Doris Kearns Goodwin--about Abraham Lincoln. I love history but with a busy 1 yo I'm having trouble getting through it!!!!

Court said...

P.S. Super CONGRATULATIONS on your new calling. You will rock!

Jennifer said...

Wait, what new calling? I had a stake assignment.

Nepi IS the man!

Jenae said...

I am the new Beehive advisor! Yay! I love the young women- they are so quirky and cute. I had a blast on Sunday hanging out with them- I'm so excited. AND- I might even get to go to girl's camp!!!!!